Monday, November 30, 2009

I keep shaving

I keep shaving all my hair off. I’m not really sure why exactly. I guess I can never decide what I want to do with my hair so I just cut it off so I don’t have to mess with it. I realize that might make me a little moody or crazy or whatever but it’s my hair so I guess I can cut it if I want. For a little over two years recently, I decided not to cut my hair. My assignment at work changed and I didn’t have to be clean cut anymore so I said ‘screw it, I’m not cutting it’. So, I didn’t. It got pretty long. In fact, it got long enough that, one night, I was asleep and rolled over on my own hair. When you’re a dude and you pull your own hair in your sleep, it might be time for a hair cut. Plus, my brother was getting married so it gave me the excuse I was looking for to cut it. Then, when I started cutting, I just didn’t stop till I was bald. I got a lot of funny looks from my co-workers and my mom looked at me and called me ‘Q-Tip’. I realize that some of you are wondering what the point is.

I think it’s a matter of identity. I struggled for a long time knowing who I was. I mean really, how many of us really know ourselves and who we really are? When Jesus spoke to me, I was a little scared to be honest with you. Then, He started using words like friend and I felt comfort. Then He called me son and I realized I had come home. Home to where someone knew me and loved me for who I was cause that’s who He made me to be. I was having a conversation recently with a good friend. He began to talk about the changes he had seen in my life. Then he said something interesting. He said, “When I first met you four years ago, I could see who you really were. It’s been good to see you become who you are.”

That really struck me. I spent a lot of time thinking about that and He helped me sort through that, unpack it if you will. He began to speak into my heart about my sonship in Him, how my real identity is found in Him. Jesus talked about that a lot, about how He and the Father were one. Then, I realized that God calls me son too. He calls me friend and tells me, in His word, that He created a new heart in me. So, it’s true. I am a new man. You are a new person. He has created your identity in Him. He calls you son or daughter and friend. Today, rest in your identity as a child, a friend of God.

By the way, you don’t have to shave your head. In case you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment