Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Love is the point

So..I got a phone call yesterday from a dear friend of mine. This man and I have been friends for over twenty years. I have spent alot of time praying for him during the dark times of his life, as he has for me. He called to tell me about something that I had to share. Recently, Jesus has become very real to my friend in a new way. I know the reason for this...because He loves my friend and won't stop pursuing him. This is the story...My buddy had come into contact with a young man who was searching. My friend felt like, for whatever reason, he needed to provide this seeker with a bible. My friend felt that God was telling him to do this. We all get a word sometimes and think, 'Ok, what's the point of this exactly?' At any rate, my friend begins to pray about this saying, 'Not sure what the point You're trying to make is, God, but I suppose I can do what you ask'...or something along those lines. Here's where it gets good. Literally, less than five minutes after this prayer/conversation with God, my friend is walking into a Subway. Guess who's walking out? You got it, the "seeker"! So, my friend follows through and gives this man a bible. While my friend is telling me this story, I am laughing, smiling and crying...and I'll tell you why.Some of you doctrine nazis out there are going to tell me that this was an exercise in obedience for my friend. I could not disagree more. This, in my humble opinion, was Jesus pursuing my friend with His love. You see, God sent Jesus to earth to walk among us, to die for us and to live again...for us. Because He loves you, me, us. When we love someone, we are to give ourselves for them. God loved us so much, He gave Himself for us. He gave Himself, in His Son, to love us, to pursue us. I felt the love of God in my friend's story. What an amazing touch for Him to say to my friend, 'See? This is how it feels.' I heard in the voice of my friend joy and amazement as he retold this story. Not joy and amazement that God asked something of him but the joy of love that God reached down to touch him and say 'I love you!'Is this not the point of love? To give itself away? I don't think we can really imagine His love, really feel it because we cannot imagine a world in which something is free and unconditional. "There is only one reason for God to come himself, because in issues of love, you just can't have someone else stand in for you. When it comes to love, it has to be face-to-face. There has to be contact...Love exists because God is love...God is not passive, for love is never passive, but always passionate; and passion always leads to action."

Awake my heart!
Love pours over my
shattered mind, broken heart...
Your touch is so much more
than I can take,
Your Passion for me unbearable.
Unexplainable, unattainable,
Your desire for me brings me
spent to my knees in utter abandon;
Reckless, sweeping Love!
You are the faceless song
haunting me with whispered
refrains of unrequited love.
Take what You will.
Never will I taste again,
breathe again without
this eclipsing Sacrifice...
Awake my soul,
your Maker speaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment