Wednesday, November 25, 2009

On Purpose

"We get robbed of the glory of life because we aren't capable of remembering how we got here...God is slowly turning the lights on...What I'm saying is I think life is staggering and we're just used to it. We are like spoiled children no longer impressed with the gifts we're given..." - Donald Miller


Just sit and think about that for a second. Let is soak in really good. The glory of life, what a thought!! Too many of us are walking through life like it doesn't matter how we live, as though life doesn't matter, as though there is no glory. We're just here. How wrong could we possibly be? When God created me/you, He did it on purpose. He meant something when He made you. That is staggering, humbling, almost numbing if you really let it sink in. What a gift we've been given. I know that life sucks sometimes, sickness comes on us, selfishness shatters relationships, abuse happens, death crashes in...life happens. I just think that we should all take some time to realize that God deliberately made us for a deliberate purpose and that is to embraced with all that we are. What an isult it becomes to our Maker when we don't live like we mean it.

During this time of year, we are supposed to be thankful, right? I know, sometimes it doesn't feel like it. I feel alone sometimes too (alot actually), I have and do feel the burning anguish of loneliness, the mental shrug of 'whatever' meaninglessness. We've lost jobs, people have hurt us, and we have hurt others. But then, He speaks into my heart...words of love, words of life, words of joy and purpose. And I realize I am not alone, that my life has purpose and meaning. And I am thankful. I am thankful for my life, all the pain, the self-imposed bullshit I've put myself through, all the laughter and tears, all those long nights I spent inside a bottle, in the arms of the bimbo of the week, all those moments of hating myself and my life. I'm even thankful for the consequences of my stupid behavior. I'm thankful because He has shown me that it was for a reason, a purpose greater than me.

I have learned so much about my own weakness. I am learning to live with purpose because God meant something when He made me and He meant something when He made you. What a difference it would make in our lives, in others' lives if we all began to live each moment recognizing the power of that moment, to know it matters. Not 'live like you were dying' but live like you were living. Laugh more, cry more, know that some of this is going to hurt but that's kinda the point, right?

Live on purpose, recognizing His gift. Live your life like the gift it is and can be to others. Be thankful. Live like you were meant to live; on purpose, with a purpose!

1 comment:

  1. that is one of my favorite quotes from his book. when i was reading those pages it just hit me like a ton of bricks. you are so right. God made us on purpose. He's not surprised by anything we have been through. awesome thoughts Scott.

    ReplyDelete